Skip to main content

Morels - Repost to Archive

Yellow Morel Mushroom - Wisconsin
photography by TAGilephotos
 Morel season.  A friend called me up the other night and asked if I wanted a bucket of Morels.  I quickly said yes.  I have fond memories of escaping the house to the woods across the street and hunting for morels for my mother.  The forests near my childhood home were full of Elm and Ash trees and in the spring, she would send us out for a hunt.  (I don’t know if that is because she really wanted the mushrooms or if she wanted us out of the house?).  We would come home with a few buckets full of the mushrooms and she would fry them up.    My husband has similar memories of eating the great wild mushrooms also as a child.  For those of you in and near Wisconsin, this last weekend was Morel Mushroom Festival in Muscoda WI, the morel capital of Wisconsin.

Now my friend wanted to know how to cook them and I thought, what a great idea for the What is… for this week.   Here is the Midwest (where one half of the Plucky Housewives resides), morels are plentiful.   I am not one to try and redo what has lready been well-done, so I will point you in the direction of a great photo article in Field and Stream that really goes through the how to hunt and cook morels.    In quick summary, they are most commonly found in the Midwest/Great Lakes regions, early spring (April to May) near ash, sycamore, dying elm, cottonwoods and apple (look near an old, abandoned apple orchard).  Right now, its later in the spring, so they will be tall.  The first early crop they are pretty tiny and easy to miss.   Pick them before they edges start to dry and turn brown.  Finally BEWARE of false morels.  If it doesn’t look like the picture, chances are its not a morel and you could get a really bad tummy ache.

The Great Morel  is a comprehensive website on all things morel.  Check it out!

Here are a few recipes.  ENJOY! 

Fried Morels

2 c of flour
1-2 T seasoning salt
2 t ground pepper
½ t salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 c of buttermilk
2-3 T butter or oil. 

Prepare mushrooms by removing stem, dirt and then splitting in half.  Avoid washing in water.  Edges of the mushroom are delicate and can easily break.  Mix flour and seasonings.  Place flour mix into a shallow bowl or pan.  Mix beaten egg with buttermilk in small bowl.   Dip mushroom half into wet mix and coat thoroughly.  Then dip into dry mix, making sure there is a flour coating on both sides.  Heat pan and melt butter.  When bubbly, place coated mushrooms into pan.  Brown on one side (about 2-3 minutes) and then turn, repeating the same.  Do not cook too long or get too dark.  The mushroom is delicate and will begin to break down.  Remove from pan onto a paper towel and enjoy!

Stuffed Morels
photography by TAGile Photos
Stuffed Morel Mushrooms

10-15 medium Morel mushrooms
1 lb of sweet Italian sausage
½ c onion, finely diced
1 clove of garlic, crushed
½ tp 1 c Parmesan cheese
2-3 oz goat cheese or cream cheese.  
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Melted butter seasoned with salt and pepper

Brown Italian sausage in a frying pan with the onion and garlic, until almost done.  Make sure it is finely crumbled.   Turn off the heat.  Mix in the Parmesan cheese, goat cheese,  salt and pepper. 

Stuff this mixture into the prepped whole mushroom caps.   Place mushrooms in a shallow baking dish.  Carefully brush the mushrooms with the seasoned melted butter.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 20-30 minutes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chess Squares, Nieman Marcus Bars, Paula Deen and Gooey Butter Cake....The real origin

Kevin & Amanda's Chess Squares So, I saw this recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago and thought, hmmm.  I need to try this! With my daughter's open heart surgery, starting my final year of school and then a few major work projects, the blog got lost in the shuffle for a bit.  Last week however, I started on a cooking binge and the first thing on the clip board to try were these chess squares.  I read the blog that posted the recipe and realized they were reminiscent to her of another recipe.  I thought they sounded (and looked) like something I used to have at my grandmas.  So the sleuth in me kicked in, and a hunting I went, trying to find the progression on the variations of  this recipe and ultimately, the origins. Nieman Marcus Buttermilk Pie Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Searching for "Chess Squares" took me to Nieman Marcus Bars, which led me to the Nieman Marcus Website and their Butter Cake . I then found the Paula Deen "Gooey Bu

Chocolate Chip Reeses or Rollos Brownie thingys?

I have no idea what to call these, but oh my goodness are they easy and good.  This recipe comes to you via Pinterest.  I tried to trace it all the way back to its originator, but failed.  It just kept going.   So, I do not claim these as mine - although I have tweaked them and will try something new this weekend.   As the picture indicates, these were done with premade cookie dough, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and box brownie mix.  Thats the "easy" no frill recipe.   Here it is: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Spray the insides of a square all edges brownie pan with Pam spray.   Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of premade cookie dough and press into the bottom of each square.  Top the cookie dough with a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup placed upside down.  Then fill up the well with your favorite prepared brownie mix up to 3/4 full.   Bake in oven for 15-18 minutes.  Remove and cool slightly. Here are some tips:   You can use cupcake/muffin tins (either small o

Stuffed Cube Steak

The other day, I had a hankering for cube steak, but did not want Swiss Steak or Chicken Fried Steak - my usual go to's.  I wanted to do something else with cube steak and remembered I had bookmarked a recipe from Pinterest that involved cube steak, bacon and goat cheese.  I tried it, we liked it, and it is now in the regular dinner rotation. I also discovered that this recipe can be done on the grill and is quite tasty either broiled or grilled.  You dont need a potato or rice dish with it.  A really nice salad and some crusty bread with some homemade lemonade really makes this a great summer meal. It is also very quick.  Just what we all want out of our summer dishes! Stuffed Cube Steak Serves 4 4 Cube steaks salt and pepper to taste 4 oz cream cheese (or goat cheese) softened - very soft. 2 T coconut oil 1 small sweet onion (Vidalia or Maui) finely chopped 4 garlic cloves, crushed 2 c baby spinach - stems removed and coarsely chopped 6-8 slices sun dried to