Skip to main content

Burgers and Grilled Asparagus

Summer, grilling and all that is fine.   I think we spend 80% of our time cooking on the grill in the summer, for several reasons.  First, its just so nice to grill and its so easy and after a long day at work, with the kids, etc., etc., all you want to do is easy.  Makes for a great cleanup too, no pots or pans.  But the main reason I have been grilling more this year, than every before is I have no GAS STOVE!  Yes, I live in a part of a community that has NO GAS LINE - well it does, but they wanted 10k to bring the gas line to my house.  I said no.  It was a sad day.  So, I/we jumped at the chance to have a pretty decent gas grill this year and I promised myself that within 3 years, I would have an AWESOME gas grill.  Cheaper than bringing the gas line to the house, but satisfies the need to cook over a flame!  Zippideedodah!

Today's recipes - Grilled burgers, a tad different than you are used to, but oh so good.  Everybody will love helping out to make their own, as well.   And since we are trying to eat fewer carbs, grilled asparagus. 

Cheese Stuffed Burgers

2 pounds of ground beef (the leaner the better - your burgers wont shrink and what you loose in fat of the beef, you gain in the bacon wrapped around the burger)

1 lb of hickory smoked bacon (I use a double smoked and thicker slab of bacon.  Peppered thick sliced bacon also works well for this)

2-3 cups shredded cheese - your favorite kind (if you want spicy, try a pepper-jack, or smoky - try a smoked cheddar.  Just

Divide the beef into 6 equal portions.  Shape into a ball and then flatten out onto a hard surface. Sprinkle each patty with salt, pepper and garlic powder.  Fill the center of the flattened patty.  You can also add sauted mushrooms, onions, jalapenos, as well.  Fold the patty over and around the center mixture, creating a ball.  Make sure all the ingredients in the center are amply covered with the ground beef.  Once you have a nice tight ball, carefully shape into a thick hamburger patty.  Season the patty again with salt and pepper and wrap in single layer, covering the entire surface of the patty.  

Fire your grill up to a nice medium flame.  Place the burgers on the grill and take care not to let the bacon burn on the outside of the burger.   When nice and crip, flip over to the other side and do the same.  It should take about 5--7 minutes per side.  Toward the end of the grill time, I close the lid for a few minutes.  It helps to hold the heat in to cook the burgers through.  I like my burgers medium to medium rare, so adjust your cooking time accordingly.

CHEEST STUFFED BURGERS PRINTABLE RECIPE
 

Grilled Asparagus

1 bunch of thick-stemmed asparagus
1/2 lb of smoky bacon (or peppered bacon is good too)
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper to taste

Wash and trim the asparagus.  Damp excess water off with a paper towel.  Late out flat on a cutting board or sheet pan.  Drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper.  (I sometimes use crushed red pepper, for a bit of a kick).  Take 4-5 stalks and wrap together with a peice of bacon, making sure to cover as much area of the asparagus as possible.  Continue until all asparagus are bunched and wrapped. 

Place on the top rack of the grill, while your burgers are cooking.  Turn the bunches as needed, so that all sides of the bacon and asparagus are evenly cooked.   It should take the same amount of time to cook the bacon as it does to grill the burgers. 

ENJOY!




GRILLED ASPARAGUS PRINTABLE RECIPE
                         

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chess Squares, Nieman Marcus Bars, Paula Deen and Gooey Butter Cake....The real origin

Kevin & Amanda's Chess Squares So, I saw this recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago and thought, hmmm.  I need to try this! With my daughter's open heart surgery, starting my final year of school and then a few major work projects, the blog got lost in the shuffle for a bit.  Last week however, I started on a cooking binge and the first thing on the clip board to try were these chess squares.  I read the blog that posted the recipe and realized they were reminiscent to her of another recipe.  I thought they sounded (and looked) like something I used to have at my grandmas.  So the sleuth in me kicked in, and a hunting I went, trying to find the progression on the variations of  this recipe and ultimately, the origins. Nieman Marcus Buttermilk Pie Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Searching for "Chess Squares" took me to Nieman Marcus Bars, which led me to the Nieman Marcus Website and their Butter Cake . I then found the Paula Deen "Gooey Bu

Chocolate Chip Reeses or Rollos Brownie thingys?

I have no idea what to call these, but oh my goodness are they easy and good.  This recipe comes to you via Pinterest.  I tried to trace it all the way back to its originator, but failed.  It just kept going.   So, I do not claim these as mine - although I have tweaked them and will try something new this weekend.   As the picture indicates, these were done with premade cookie dough, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and box brownie mix.  Thats the "easy" no frill recipe.   Here it is: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Spray the insides of a square all edges brownie pan with Pam spray.   Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of premade cookie dough and press into the bottom of each square.  Top the cookie dough with a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup placed upside down.  Then fill up the well with your favorite prepared brownie mix up to 3/4 full.   Bake in oven for 15-18 minutes.  Remove and cool slightly. Here are some tips:   You can use cupcake/muffin tins (either small o

Stuffed Cube Steak

The other day, I had a hankering for cube steak, but did not want Swiss Steak or Chicken Fried Steak - my usual go to's.  I wanted to do something else with cube steak and remembered I had bookmarked a recipe from Pinterest that involved cube steak, bacon and goat cheese.  I tried it, we liked it, and it is now in the regular dinner rotation. I also discovered that this recipe can be done on the grill and is quite tasty either broiled or grilled.  You dont need a potato or rice dish with it.  A really nice salad and some crusty bread with some homemade lemonade really makes this a great summer meal. It is also very quick.  Just what we all want out of our summer dishes! Stuffed Cube Steak Serves 4 4 Cube steaks salt and pepper to taste 4 oz cream cheese (or goat cheese) softened - very soft. 2 T coconut oil 1 small sweet onion (Vidalia or Maui) finely chopped 4 garlic cloves, crushed 2 c baby spinach - stems removed and coarsely chopped 6-8 slices sun dried to