Skip to main content

Corn Bread

A couple of weeks ago, in the throws of school and packing and house hunting, Hawley sent me a bunch of recipes to contribute to the site, cause she knew I was going crazy.  Of course, I didn't get to them right away, but here we are and we are back, at least until I have to unplug in a month and relocate my studio/office.  But until then, the stories and recipes will once again flow.  Thanks for being patient and thanks for continuing to come back to the site!

Today's recipe is cornbread... I am putting both Hawley's and my version of this recipe out there.  They are a tad different, but both are delicious and I know everyone usually has a reason why they like their cornbread a certain way.

Here's Hawley's:

When I got married, my mother-in-law gave me a cast iron frying pan and said that I would use this more than any other pan.  I did and I still do.  I love my black cast-iron pan.  I use it for pancakes, bacon, fried eggs, cornbread and just about anything that needs to be browned.  Here is a great recipe for cornbread that is cooked in the oven in the skilled.  Who would have thought?

2-1/4 c cornmeal (I use fairly fine ground cornmeal - Red Hill, Albers)
2 c buttermilk
1/4 c vegetable oil
4 T unsalted butter, cut into pieces
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
3/4 t salt
2 eggs

Heat the oven to 450 degrees.  Put cornmeal on rimmed cookie sheet and put in the middle of the rack of oven.  Let roast for approximately 5 minutes or until it starts to be fragrant.  Transfer hot cornmeal to mixing bowl and whisk in buttermilk.  Set aside.  Add oil to cast iron skillet and heat up in the oven until just starts to smoke, about 5 minutes.  take out and add butter.  Let the butter melt.  Pour all but 1T of oil into cornmeal-buttermilk mixture.  Whisk in remaining ingredients into cornmeal.  Put into the cast-iron skillet and bake until top starts to crack and sides are brown.  Remove and serve warm with whipped butter and honey.


My version goes somewhat like this.... My mother fed an army.  Everything was in large pans and in large quantities, except her cornbread.  She too, used a black, well seasoned cast-iron skillet pan.  Now, she used two of them, cause of course, one pan of cornbread would not have fed our large family.   She never had a recipe (as with most of her cooking) and when I was in my early 20s, I searched and searched for a recipe similar to hers.  After much trial and error (and  recipe page that looks the part), this is pretty close...Until I started doing this post, I had never heard of toasting the cornmeal first.  Now that I am going to try.  See, we all keep learning from each other.  Its what I so love about all of this!

1-1/4 c cornmeal - I like to use a combination of white and yellow cornmeal.
1 c all-purpose flour (bread flour works especially well)
1/4 c sugar
1 T baking powder
1 T baking soda
1/2 t salt
2 large eggs
1-1/2 c buttermilk
3 T butter, melted
1/3 c vegetable oil

Heat oven to 425 degrees.   Mix dry ingredients together (cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt).   Set aside.  In smaller bowl, beat eggs.  To the eggs add the buttermilk and mix, then add the melted butter (which has been slightly cooled).   Mix well.  Add wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir until well-combined.  Put oil in bottom of heavy well-seasoned cast-iron skillet and place in the heated oven for about 5-10 minutes, until the oil is smoking hot.   Once the pan is hot, remove and add batter to the hot pan.  Return to the oven and bake for about 15 minutes, until crispy brown on the sides and golden brown on the top.  Again, remove from the oven and serve warm with butter and/or a local honey!  Enjoy.

CORNBREAD PRINTABLE RECIPE

Tomorrow - Corn Chowder to go with that cornbread and some delicious apple recipes!

Comments

  1. The cornbread looks delicious. Do you think there is a big taste difference when baked in a cast iron skillet? My cast iron skillets rust after a while. Do you have any tips to keep them in cooking shape?

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my experience, the biggest difference in cooking in a cast iron skillet vs non cast iron skillet is the texture of the crust. The cast iron skillet makes a crispier crust. So if you like the crispy outside and the soft inside, its the way to go. As for tips on keeping them in cooking shape, use them more often. We tend to default to our nonstick pans, but when it comes to frying - nothing beats cast iron. Also, make sure you keep them oiled and DO NOT use soap on them. Dont let them air dry as well. Just hit it with hot water to get the gunk out, and wipe down good with a paper towel. Then recondition with a little bit of vegetable oil.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Chess Squares, Nieman Marcus Bars, Paula Deen and Gooey Butter Cake....The real origin

Kevin & Amanda's Chess Squares So, I saw this recipe on Pinterest a few weeks ago and thought, hmmm.  I need to try this! With my daughter's open heart surgery, starting my final year of school and then a few major work projects, the blog got lost in the shuffle for a bit.  Last week however, I started on a cooking binge and the first thing on the clip board to try were these chess squares.  I read the blog that posted the recipe and realized they were reminiscent to her of another recipe.  I thought they sounded (and looked) like something I used to have at my grandmas.  So the sleuth in me kicked in, and a hunting I went, trying to find the progression on the variations of  this recipe and ultimately, the origins. Nieman Marcus Buttermilk Pie Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Searching for "Chess Squares" took me to Nieman Marcus Bars, which led me to the Nieman Marcus Website and their Butter Cake . I then found the Paula Deen "Gooey Bu

Chocolate Chip Reeses or Rollos Brownie thingys?

I have no idea what to call these, but oh my goodness are they easy and good.  This recipe comes to you via Pinterest.  I tried to trace it all the way back to its originator, but failed.  It just kept going.   So, I do not claim these as mine - although I have tweaked them and will try something new this weekend.   As the picture indicates, these were done with premade cookie dough, Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and box brownie mix.  Thats the "easy" no frill recipe.   Here it is: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Spray the insides of a square all edges brownie pan with Pam spray.   Scoop out a heaping tablespoon of premade cookie dough and press into the bottom of each square.  Top the cookie dough with a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup placed upside down.  Then fill up the well with your favorite prepared brownie mix up to 3/4 full.   Bake in oven for 15-18 minutes.  Remove and cool slightly. Here are some tips:   You can use cupcake/muffin tins (either small o

Stuffed Cube Steak

The other day, I had a hankering for cube steak, but did not want Swiss Steak or Chicken Fried Steak - my usual go to's.  I wanted to do something else with cube steak and remembered I had bookmarked a recipe from Pinterest that involved cube steak, bacon and goat cheese.  I tried it, we liked it, and it is now in the regular dinner rotation. I also discovered that this recipe can be done on the grill and is quite tasty either broiled or grilled.  You dont need a potato or rice dish with it.  A really nice salad and some crusty bread with some homemade lemonade really makes this a great summer meal. It is also very quick.  Just what we all want out of our summer dishes! Stuffed Cube Steak Serves 4 4 Cube steaks salt and pepper to taste 4 oz cream cheese (or goat cheese) softened - very soft. 2 T coconut oil 1 small sweet onion (Vidalia or Maui) finely chopped 4 garlic cloves, crushed 2 c baby spinach - stems removed and coarsely chopped 6-8 slices sun dried to